Easy, healthy, garlic Herb Butter Salmon and Asparagus Foil Packs are a quick-and-tasty 30-minute meal for summer nights, camping, and cookouts. The flaky salmon and tender asparagus will melt in your mouth!
This recipe is basically lots of my favorite ingredients coming together in one super easy and SUPER delicious summer meal.
You all know that I’m a fan of salmon – BIG fan – and asparagus is easily my favorite summertime vegetable. Bring those together in a simple and easy-to-prepare foil pack dinner like this one and I’m in heaven!Why? Well, first of all, the herb butter is so simple. The key is just to let the butter come to room temperature ahead of time so that it is easy to mash with the garlic and seasonings with a fork. Drop a few dollops of that savory herb butter on top of the salmon and asparagus, wrap it all tightly in a neat little tin foil package, and cook it on the grill or in the oven.
While these grilled foil packs certainly are tasty year round, they are especially fun for the summer when you’re grilling out in the backyard and make wonderful camping meals. Or, prepare them ahead of time for an even quicker dinner! Oh, and cleanup is a breeze! Just eat straight from the foil and then toss when you’re done.
Here’s a quick look at what you’ll need
One of the other great things about this grilled salmon dish is that you only need a few ingredients to make them!
- Boneless, skinless salmon fillets
- Salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Minced garlic
- Fresh thyme or parsley (optional)
Here’s how you make it
Even if you’re not so great in the kitchen, this is a dish that’s easy to create, hard to mess up, and will receive rave reviews! That’s a winner of a dinner all around!
First, season the salmon generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Then, arrange one salmon fillet and 1/4 of the asparagus in the center of one 12×12 inch piece of foil. Repeat with remaining salmon and asparagus on the 3 other pieces of foil. Slide the lemon slices under the salmon and asparagus in each foil pack.
Next, mix together the butter, Italian seasoning, and garlic. Drop the butter mixture by the tablespoon onto the salmon and asparagus until it’s all divided equally and used up.
Fold up the foil tightly around the salmon and asparagus, sealing tightly at the top to make your foil pack. This ensures the butter and juices remain inside to cook with the fish and veggies and don’t go running out the sides and inside your grill. That would be super sad.
Grill over medium high heat for 6-8 minutes on each side, or, if you prefer, bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until the asparagus is tender and the salmon is flaky. Once they are done, drizzle fresh lemon juice over the top and serve immediately.
Are salmon and asparagus keto-friendly?
Are you on a Keto or low-carb diet? Then this is a great dish to serve! Salmon and asparagus are Keto and low-carb friendly, which means you can eat your heart out and stick to your diet.
Butter is also okay on these kinds of diets. So, add these Salmon and Asparagus Foil Packs to your Keto meal plans today!
Do you have to flip salmon on the grill?
Salmon doesn’t HAVE to be flipped on the grill. The foil packages create a steam bag too, ensuring that they will be cooked all the way through and all the way around. I do flip mine though to give both sides a little bit of a crisp but you don’t have to flip yours if you prefer not to.
Herb Butter Salmon and Asparagus Foil Packs
- 4 boneless skineless salmon fillets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound asparagus - ends trimmed
- 1 lemon - thinly sliced, (plus additional wedges for garnish)
- ½ cup butter - at room temperature
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning - or Herbs de Provence, see note
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- fresh thyme or parsley, for garnish
- Season salmon generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Arrange one salmon fillet and 1/4 of the asparagus in the center of one 12×12 inch piece of foil. Repeat with remaining salmon and asparagus on 3 other pieces of foil. Slide lemon slices under the salmon and asparagus.
- In a small bowl mix butter, Italian seasoning, and garlic. Drop large dollops of the herb butter on top of the salmon and asparagus.
- Fold the foil tightly around the salmon and asparagus, being sure to seal the ends together tightly so the juices and butter doesn’t run out while cooking. Grill over medium high heat for 6-8 minutes on each side, OR bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until asparagus is tender and salmon is flaky.
- Drizzle fresh lemon juice over the top and serve immediately.
- These foil packs can easily be made in the oven instead of on the grill. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place foil packs directly on your oven rack (positioned in about the center of the oven) or on a sheet pan, and bake for about 15 minutes til salmon is opaque and asparagus is tender. For a little added color you can open the foil packs and broil for 1-2 minutes!
- My secret weapon is Herbs de Provence – get yourself a bottle (or make your own blend!) and anytime you read “Italian seasoning” in a recipe, simply swap it out for the same amount of Herbs de Provence. This is a little trick that really takes the flavors of the dish to the next level.
- You don’t have to trim the ends of your asparagus, but I tend to find that the cut ends are a little tough so I like to trim about 1/2 inch off before proceeding with the recipe. This ensures the entire cooked asparagus is nice and tender.
- Easily swap out the asparagus for other veggies like broccoli florets or bell peppers if you prefer!
This recipe was originally posted June 26th, 2017 and has been updated to include more expert tips, tricks, and FAQs, the recipe is essentially the same with a few more detailed instructions.